While the physical and mental benefits of spending time in nature are well-known, its value was reinforced during the pandemic, when many people found themselves stuck at homes—and spending more time (and joy!) in their outdoor living areas.
In fact, not only did nearly 80 percent of Americans invest in outside upgrades during COVID, but 90 percent agree that outdoor living space is more valuable than ever before.
While porches, patios, decks, and other outdoor spaces are wonderful, they’re also inherently limited. After all, when temperatures plummet or torrential rain starts coming down in Southern California, exterior areas are rendered useless.
That’s where indoor-outdoor spaces come in.
Both in terms of bringing the outdoors in and bringing the indoors out, this best-of-both-worlds trend creates a seamless blend between indoor and outdoor environments.
Here we’ll take a look at why so many people are prioritizing indoor-outdoor living. We’ll also share ideas and inspiration for designing exceptional indoor-outdoor spaces at home, including how glass garage doors are an extraordinary way to maximize the many benefits of this trend.
Why Are Indoor-Outdoor Spaces so Popular?
One of the moment’s biggest home design trends, indoor-outdoor spaces have many benefits, including the following:
- More living space. One of the leading desires of most homeowners is more space. Whether you upgrade your seasonal porch into a fully functional room or turn your deck into a kitchen/dining space, these improvements have the same effect of amplifying the livable square footage of your home.
- Enhanced entertainment options. With many homeowners looking for more opportunities to spend time with family and friends, indoor-outdoor spaces are flexible, multifunctional, and perfect for entertaining.
- More proximity to nature. Whether you create more comfortable outdoor spaces for lingering longer or bring more natural light or plants into your indoor space with sliding glass doors, the benefits of exposure to the natural world cannot be overstated. In fact, research shows that just seeing greenery can reduce unhealthy cravings, improve cognitive function, and more. Natural environments are even associated with living longer!
- Maximized views and open space. Even when Skye Walls multislide doors are closed, they offer sweeping natural views. They also let in more natural light while visually “opening up” rooms, creating the illusion of spaciousness.
- Increased home value. While demand for indoor-outdoor living spaces may have spiked since COVID, it’s not exactly something new. In fact, the American Institute of Architects’ 2017 Home Trends Design Survey revealed that 70 percent of architecture firm clients had requested outdoor living. In addition to delivering on this request, beautiful indoor-outdoor spaces also have the potential to add curb appeal. All of these factors mean that embracing the indoor-outdoor living concept can have serious payoffs when the time comes to sell.
Indoor-Outdoor Living: Ideas and Inspiration
When we think of the indoor-outdoor living trend, we often think of two things: bringing the outdoors in, and bringing the indoors out. Here, we’ll highlight tips and tricks for accomplishing both.
Here’s a look at each:
Bringing the Outdoors In
Depending on your goals and budget, there are many ways to incorporate elements of the outdoors into your home’s interior.
One of the most effective ways? Upgrading your doors and windows. From installing larger glass windows that let in more light and create airflow to installing sliding and folding glass doors that offer expansive views, glass windows and doors help to break down the boundaries between inside and out.
If your goal is to create truly immersive indoor-outdoor spaces, meanwhile, consider a glass garage door from Skye Walls. The greater the expanse of glass, the more fluid the transition between exterior and interior areas. Swapping out your conventional garage door for a moving glass garage door has truly transformative potential in terms of enhancing your home’s liveable square footage with an exciting indoor-outdoor space.
However, the possibilities aren’t limited to garages. This same idea works for enclosing porches, patios, balconies, poolhouses, barns, and other exterior spaces. Skye Walls glass garage doors are also an excellent fit for another 2023 trend: ADUs.
By elevating your seasonal porch, patio, or ADU with a glass garage door, you are essentially creating a visually arresting glass wall that offers unparalleled interplay between the indoors and outdoors. In addition to gaining access to expansive natural views, you’ll also gain control over airflow and circulation. On beautiful days, an open glass garage door welcomes in all that nature has to offer, while on not-so-nice days you can close the door but keep the view. An innovative alternative to French doors and sliding doors, glass garage doors also make small interior spaces feel much larger because of their “open” aesthetic.
Other strategies for bringing the outdoors in? Embracing more greenery in the form of plants and trees is another strategy for designing indoor-outdoor spaces. Not only does “going green” have a powerful impact, but it’s also an affordable approach.
Designers also turn to natural flooring and organic materials like rattan, wicker, and stone to facilitate easy flow.
Bringing the Indoors Out
There are also many ways to make exterior spaces feel more like natural extensions of your home’s interior.
One major example? Furniture. For many homeowners, outdoor furniture is an afterthought. However, not only are there more options today thanks to advancements in element-resistant materials, but chic and comfortable outdoor rooms are also more inviting.
The best outdoor spaces acknowledge the dual importance of form and function. For example, excellent outdoor lighting extends the usability of the space while also contributing to the aesthetic experience.
Other tips include adding a fire element for warmth and ambiance, picking a color palette (potentially one that echoes your indoor scheme), incorporating ample seating, and being mindful about shade and sun.
Transform Your View with Skye Walls
If you’re looking to get in on the indoor-outdoor living trend, glass garage doors can be especially impactful—especially when you partner with leading garage door company Skye Walls. Available in a variety of styles, configurations, and price points, a Skye Walls garage door installation can be customized to your exact needs, specifications, and location.
We’ll not only take care of every aspect of the planning and installation process (no general contractor required!) of upgrading to your modern garage doors, but the installation is also guaranteed to your satisfaction.If you’re ready to improve your view, Skye Walls is ready to help. To learn more about the potential of our glass garage doors for elevating your environment, schedule your free in-home consultation today.